Don’t let your outdoor gear take up your precious space at home, save the space and start storing outdoor gear in a storage unit!
Finding space for all of your outdoor gear can be a challenge. Once you start outdoor hobbies, you are likely to keep getting gear and run out of space. However, with the convenience of a storage unit, you can store all of your gear and access it when you need to!
Have a yearly hunting trip that will require access to your gear in the wee hours of the morning? Remember to plan ahead and ask about access hours! Most facilities can offer you 24 hour access for a small fee. Ask about the possibility of 24 hour access if this does not already apply at your facility.
Kayak/Canoe Storage Tips
- Be sure to check inside your kayak or canoe for small animals using it as shelter before storing them indoors.
- Always cover your kayak or canoe even if it is stored inside to prevent bugs from getting inside and damaging any foam or rubber materials.
- Low temperatures can potentially damage inflatable kayaks because of the material that they are made of.
- If you can’t afford to buy a rack for your personal boat you should store it against a wall on its side.
- Depending on how much gear you plan to store, your kayak or canoe would fit nicely in a 5×10 or 10×15 unit.
Camping Gear Storage Help
- Lay out all of your gear and organize it.
- Take inventory of everything and make a list.
- When storing outdoor gear, be sure to clean your items before storing-especially cooking gear to avoid any hungry critters.
- Make sure tents, sleeping bags etc. are dry to avoid mold and mildew.
- Label your boxes according to the contents so that you can find what you need quickly.
- When packing make sure you don’t over pack an item making it too heavy to lift.
- Avoid storing propane tanks, lighter fluid and any other flammable materials in your unit.
- Remove batteries from flashlights, GPS and headlamps to avoid any leakage or corrosion. Store the batteries separately.
Follow these tips for storing outdoor gear and you will not only have more space in your home, but your gear will also be safe and secure!